Saturday, August 28, 2010

Home Made Gingerale

If you read the last post, you know I've had some kind of bug. Not only was I stuffed up, but the old gastrointestinal tract was working overtime in both directions, if you get my drift :(   So, I made up some home made gingerale, and got very quick relief! Ginger is a very ancient remedy for this sot of thing.

Well, anyway, here's the extremely simple recipe I use for making home made ginger ale. There is another recipe I used to use with a little yeast so it makes its own carbonation, but it requires sugar for the yeast to feed on, so.... here was what I came up with:

3/4 cup of fresh peeled and grated ginger- when buying ginger, I look for smaller diameter hands. They tend to be better in flavor and not so full of tough fiber.
2 1/2 cups of water
4 packets of splenda (you'll have to taste once the ginger ale is made- I'm not big on very sweet drinks- you may want more)
Club soda- this should already be sugar free, but check to make sure.

Grate the ginger and place in a small saucepan with the water. Bring to a boil, turn down the heat and simmer gently for about ten minutes. Add the splenda. Pour the ginger water through a strainer lined with cheese cloth (a paper towel will do nicely in a pinch). Discard the ginger. Use a funnel and pour the ginger water into a clean two liter bottle. Fill the rest of the bottle with club soda, and cap tightly. Be sure to leave about two inches of head room at the top of the bottle. Taste and adjust the amount of Splenda to your liking.

Drink this over ice, with a squeeze of lime or lemon. Delicious and refreshing, even if a bug hasn't bitten you! For those of you wanting to be a little "bad", a splash of spirits goes nicely in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment