Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Gabby's Phase I Chicken Salad- only 4.3 net carbs!

As most of you know, I am in the middle of a week of going back to induction to put myself on the straight and narrow once again. So, as happened in the beginning of my Atkins journey, I find myself coming up with different recipes so I won't be bored. The only thing I really ever missed after retiring as an executive chef was the constant recipe development I did to keep the customers coming back. So, now, I inflict this on you OFL's. LOL!

Gabby's Phase I Chicken Salad

3/4 cup diced chicken  (I cook chicken leg-thigh quarters in chicken stock and take the meat off the bones and dice, but canned chicken drained will do as well.)
1 strip of bacon crisply cooked and crumbled or diced
1 boiled egg finely diced
1/2 stalk of celery finely diced (I use the top half and dice the leaves in also- really adds the flavor!)
2 Tablespoons finely diced red pepper (green or yellow bell pepper will work fine, but I like the added sweetness and color of the red)
1 Roma or 1/2 medium tomato seeds and pulp removed and finely diced
About 1/8 cup of shredded red or purple cabbage ( the lazy way out of this is to add a couple of tablespoons of cole slaw mix minus any dressing) Can be omitted entirely if you don't have it on hand.
Romaine lettuce leaves (or any lettuce you prefer)

Dressing:
1 1/2 Tablespoons of mayonnaise
1/2 - 3/4 teaspoons of spicy brown mustard (regular mustard is fine if you prefer)
1 teaspoon dill relish (must be dill relish, not the sweet relish)
dash of Worcestershire sauce
dash of red wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dried basil or 1 1/2 teaspoons of fresh basil finely diced
If desired, about 1/8 to 1/4 packet of Splenda can be added for a little sweetness- I don't do this, but I know a lot of people like a sweeter dressing.


After preparing all ingredients for the salad except the lettuce leaves and placing in a bowl, mix the dressing ingredients in another small container and let sit at room temperature at least 1/2 hour so the flavors will blend well. Then re-stir the dressing and pour over the chicken mixture and mix in well. Refrigerate at least 1/2 to 1 hour. Then arrange a couple of lettuce leaves on a large salad plate and mound the chicken salad on top. This can be enhanced with a squeeze from a fresh lemon wedge if you desire. Enjoy!

Carb counts:
Chicken and bacon- 0 carbs
Egg- 0.6 carbs
Celery- 0.4
Pepper- 0.4
Cabbage- 0.1
Tomato- 1.7
Mayo- 0.8
Mustard-1.0
Worcestershire Sauce- 0.1
Vinegar- 0


Total net carb count is only 4.3 net carbs! This is a delicious filling way to get your lunch time carbs. You even can add another veggie if you like to increase those veggie carbs.


Note: for those on phases past induction, chopped pecans or any nut of your choice can be added as well as a little grated carrot. I sure other additions can be put in to enhance flavor as long as it follows the WOE.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment