Sunday, March 27, 2011

Stuffed Artichoke Bottoms and Mushrooms Courtesy of Sharon

Sharon, our dear OFL in Israel, made a dish for company that sounds delectable! I love mushrooms and I love artichokes! She uses frozen artichoke bottoms that she buys there. I do hope I can find them here!

For the stuffed artichoke bottoms, I oil the bottom of a very large flattish baking pan, then lay down a layer of tomato slices with garlic cloves cut into matchsticks between them. Then I put in water to just cover the tomatoes. Then I put down the defrosted artichoke bottoms and mushrooms, open side up. (If the pan isn't big enough, work in two layers, artichokes on the bottom and mushrooms on the top.) Then I make my beef mixture -- 1 kg (a bit more than 2 lbs.) ground beef; the leaves from about 12 parsley stems, chopped; 1 grated onion; 1 grated kohlrabi; 2 grated zucchini; 1 grated tomato; 1 huge handful of pine nuts; salt and pepper to taste. (This mixture stuffed 22 artichoke bottoms and 10 mushrooms today.) Then I take the juice of a large lemon and beat it up with about 1/4 c olive oil and spoon it over the meat in each artichoke/mushroom; if there is any left over, I pour it into the pan. Then I cover the pan with aluminum foil (oiled on the side that touches the food), bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes covered, uncover the pan, baste with the liquid in the pan, and bake for 20 minutes uncovered and baste again and turn the oven off.

It sounds like a lot of work but it really is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment