Wednesday, September 29, 2010

MIM's "Pizza"

I think I've watched too much TV lately, and the proof is that I found myself really wanting a Pizza Hut greasy pizza last night. I never did buy that stuff! It always gave me indigestion. I guess I've seen too many commercials for pizza that the food stylists have really worked over! Anyway, last night, I decided to solve that craving- so here it is:

Mim's Pizza

Batter for two MIM's minus cinnamon or sweeteners
1 Tablespoon grated Pecorino Romano cheese
about 5 ounces ground chuck, or any other ground meat your prefer- or none; pepperoni, etc.ohh
1 large tomato cut into large dice
1/2 red onion cut into fine slices- or any other onion you have
1/2 green or red bell pepper diced (not too fine)
6 to 8 white mushrooms sliced
6 to 8 baby portabellas sliced
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon each dried oregano  and Italian seasoning
1/2 teaspoon each garlic and onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce

Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese grated

Make the batter for two MIM's without the cinnamon and sweeteners, stirring in the Pecorino Romano cheese This is the cheese you get like the dried parmesan in the can, although I think the fresh would work as well. You can omit entirely if you don't have it.

Use cooking spray in the bottom of a 9 x 14 baking pan (or whatever you have). Spread the MIM mixture on it, making it a little thinner in the center- bake at 350 degrees till just done- my psychotic oven only took about twelve minutes- but I never know what temp it is at any given time! I made mine a little crusty at the edges. Set aside in the pan to dry and rest.

In a non-stick pan, crumble and saute the meat until brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Add all veggies except the tomatoes and saute' till just tender. Add tomatoes and herbs, along with salt and pepper to taste and simmer gently till a little of the tomato juice is cooked out. You don't want it watery to put on your pizza. I set the sauce aside in the pan then to cool a bit before putting on the MIM crust, the object here being that a cooler sauce will not seep down in the crust and make it soggy. Spread this onto the MIM crust, and then crumble the ground chuck on the top. Cover with grated mozzarella and parmesan. Return to the 350 oven and just bake till the cheese is beginning to get bubbly and brown. Cool slightly and cut into squares and serve. Serves at least two hearty eaters. For me 1/4 is enough with a salad.

As usual, this recipe lends itself to endless variations, depending on what you like. I just used what I had in the house. The crust was near enough to pizza crust and ridiculously easy to make! God bless whoever created the MIM! It made a nice meal with a salad and ended that ridiculous Pizza Hut craving!

No comments:

Post a Comment