Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Chicken and Zucchini Stir Fry Courtesy of Pat

Pat, one of our newest members of the OFL's is going great guns on Phase I of Atkins, and has already developed a new recipe! This is totally Atkins friendly and suitable for all phases.

When I was a chef in an Italian restaurant I used a lot of zucchini, and the amazing thing about this particular vegetable is just how versatile it is, depending on the ingredients combined with it! Those of you who think you don't like veggies, try this one- the tomatoes turn the zucchini into something delectable! Also, if you like more herbs or peppers or anything else with this, it is easily turned into your own favorite. Thanks Pat! 

Chicken and Zucchini Stir-Fry

Here is my new recipe - I don't usually measure anything. The ingredients are for one person, but last night, I made it for seven and it came out just as well. For those who haven't tried or aren't wild about zuchini, this recipe seems to do wonders for the stuff. We used up 4 zuchinis from our garden last night - they are bigger than store bought, but not the big hunkers you get if you miss picking one!

Ingredients:
1-2 slices of bacon
1/2 large chicken breast - cut into bite-sized pieces
1 heaping cup zuchini pieces (peeled)
1 green onion - cut into 1/4 in pieces (green and white parts)
1/4 cup shredded medium cheddar cheese (1 oz)
8-10 cherry tomatoes-cut in half
garlic salt
poultry seasoning (about 1/4 tsp)
Salt and Pepper to taste- late in cooking time

Directions:
For just myself, I use a non-stick fry pan. For the whole family, I used a large deep stir fry pan.

Cut the bacon into 1/4 inch slices. Stir fry until done. Remove to paper towels to drain. Pour off fat. In whatever fat remains in the pan, cook the chicken. I usually cook the chicken first then cut it into bite-sized pieces but you could cut it up then cook it. When the chicken is almost done, add the zuchini pieces (peel the zuchini, cut into quarters lengthwise, then slice into about 1/4 pieces). Continue to stir fry until zuchini has softened (about 2 minutes for a single serving).
Sprinkle with garlic salt and poultry seasoning, stirring to mix well. I use very little salt - probably 1/4 tsp. Add the bacon pieces, tomato, and green onions, cooking only enough to heat the tomatoes thoroughly.

Serve - covering each portion with cheese.

It looks pretty until everyone mixes in their cheese! :)

I hope everyone who tries it enjoys it! I'm off to the store to try Gabby's recipe for Beef Stock. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment