Saturday, October 2, 2010

Flax Meal Bread Courtesy of Becky

This recipe from Becky is definitely a keeper! And you don't have to be low-carbing it to like it. I tried it out on my parents today- toasted slices under the broiler and spread with cream cheese- they loved it! And variations of what to put in the bread are endless. When I made it, I used 1/2 cup of grated zucchini and pecans instead of walnuts. It was wonderful!

Flax Bread 1 1/4 Cups ground flax meal
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 Cup sugar (Splenda)
1/8 cup chopped walnuts
1/8 cup blueberries, cranberries, craisins
or raisins or zucchini or applesauce
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon plus vanilla or any other flavor
5 Eggs
1/8 cup plus a tad of any fat (I use butter or sour cream)

Bake in greased loaf pan at 350, 35 minutes in a convection oven.\ (Sugar and raisins are for my Dad who needs to gain weight)

Take 1/5 of this recipe ( except baking powder still need at least a quarter tsp) combine in a small bowl or cup and microwave for about 2 minutes for a MIM

One other comment I had about this- dried fruits such as raisins and craisins are very sugar concentrated, so if you're not on maintenance or at least phase three with Atkins, they should be avoided pretty much. I also used almond extract instead of vanilla because I was out of vanilla and it worked fine. I just used one teaspoon. Thanks Becky for adding a little more variety to our low-carbing life!

No comments:

Post a Comment