Friday, August 12, 2011

Silver Sneakers Info Courtesy of Pat

I am so happy that Pat came back to Atkins and joined the OFL's a couple of days ago! She has already contributed to our wealth of knowledge!  Pat has joined Silver Sneakers, and I know others in our group have joined. So, today, Pat gave us a rundown of the program and how it is free to many people. So, if you're fortunate enough to be in an area where this is offered, check it out! I am going to copy and paste what Pat had to say here, so you can see for yourself.

I've discovered a few things while I was away from the internet. You all may have discussed this before, but I thought I'd share with you in case you haven't. My health insurance (BCBS) offers a free health club membership under Silver Sneakers. I got online on their website and found that a health club within a few blocks of our house was a member and joined for free. No initial charge, no monthly fees. And they offer all sorts of exercise classes for those of us with limited range of movement or other difficulties as well as a swimming pool and aqua exercises, weights, all the aerobic machines. Best of all, when I go in the mornings, almost everyone there is my age or older and all in about the same shape. I talked my mom into joining - her medicare supplement is under Humana - and her insurance covered her membership, too, so it isn't just a BCBS thing. If you haven't checked it out and want a nice free way to exercise, check out Silver Sneakers.

No comments:

Post a Comment