Saturday, January 8, 2011

Spicy Steak Quesadilla Courtesy of Gabby

Tonight, I was in the mood for Mexican as well as significant protein (read steak.) So, I decided to make an Atkins friendly Quesadilla with lots of cheese and spice to it. It definitely solved my protein longing and was nice and filling. So, I'm sharing the reciipe I use with you.

Spicy Steak Quesadilla

8- 12 ounces of sirloin steak about 5/8 inches thick with salt and pepper to your liking
3/4 cup of grated cheese of your choice
1/4 red onion sliced into very thin strips
1 small jalalpeno pepper in small dice
1 to 2 Roma tomatoes diced fine seeds and pulp removed
1 clove of garlic minced finely
3 tablespoons minced cilantro
Salsa- read the label carefully to make sure no sugar is added
Olive oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2 low carb tortillas ( I use Extreme Wellness low carb tortillas, which have five carbs apiece.

Usually, I grill the steak on the outdoor grill, but this being winter and cool and windy, I just used the broiler on my stove. Start cooking the steak while heating a saute pan with just enough olive oil to coat the bottom. Brown the tortillas- about two or three minutes each. Remove from the pan and place on a plate. Add a little more oil to the pan and add all the vegetables and seasonings. When the onions and jalapenos are soft, they are done. After the cooked steak has "rested" for a few minutes, slice it very thinkly and distribute it over one tortilla. Add 1/2 of the cheese and the veggies and seasonings. Add the other half of the cheese and the other tortilla. Cut it into wedges and serve with a couple tablespoons of salsa. 1/4 of the tortilla is usually enough for a meal for me. I save the other parts for another meal.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment